Home Networking, Or The Project That Only Took A Year…

I finally got the motivation up to run the network cable between the first and second floors.  There was a little drilling involved, but all-in-all, I think I did minimal damage.  It’s nice to have the non-wireless devices on the second floor back online, in particular my workhorse laser printer that is going on 12 years old and still works like a champ.  Let’s just say they don’t make ’em like that anymore.

As of now, my fingers are sore because I haven’t put the ends on twisted pair cable in over a year or two.  After the first connector of tonight, I got back into the groove and knocked out the remainder in short order.

RJ-45 Crimper
My fingers are sore, and I'm kind of rusty, but I got it done.

So, now that I have the upstairs wired in again, what next?  Well, I’m not really sure yet.  I do know I need to get some kind of Linux server back online for various network maintenance jobs and the like, as well as possibly acting as a VPN gateway.

I’m also considering playing with OpenSolaris.  I hear the filesystem is pretty amazing.

Oh yeah…I also still have a nagging “itch” to scratch from that asset tracking database project I was working on at my last job.  I always wanted to be able to tell how often an asset had been moved and then see if I could correlate it with breakage rates.  I figure if you move a computer around three times a week, treating it like a bale of hay when it’s handled, eventually things like hard disks are going to give out.  So, having a database server to test on again will be nice…maybe I’ll even get crazy and play with database clustering.

Regardless of what I do with the network upstairs, the important thing is now I can start moving the computer equipment back into place.  Hopefully this means I’ll be able to see the floor up there in the office soon. Maybe I’ll have a functional office and ham radio station again before the hockey season starts up.  Time will tell.

Leave a Reply